“GIALLO,” “WHALE WATCHING MASSACRE,” lots more DVD art/datesArchive1 Fangoria Staff
Originally posted on 2010-09-08 19:28:36 by
As the Halloween season approaches, the DVD horror market is shifting into high gear. A whole bunch of cover art and dates have come to light in the last week, and we’ve got ’em collected for you below.
• Below you can check out the covers for Dario Argento’s GIALLO (pictured), coming from Maya Entertainment October 19 (though it’s already rentable as a Blockbuster exclusive now), and a slew of IFC Films/MPI Media Group DVDs: Rupert Glasson’s COFFIN ROCK and Jake West’s DOGHOUSE, coming Oct. 12; Mark Tonderai’s HUSH and David Morley’s MUTANTS, out Oct. 26, and Stuart Hazeldine’s EXAM and Kristian Levring’s FEAR ME NOT, streeting November 16. No special features have been announced for GIALLO, and specs have yet to be made available for the IFC/MPI titles; we’ll keep you posted.
• Image Entertainment has picked up the Gunnar Hansen-starrer REYKJAVIK WHALE WATCHING MASSACRE and partially retitled it HARPOON: WHALE WATCHING MASSACRE, setting a street date of December 7 on rated and unrated DVD as well as unrated Blu-ray. The Icelandic slasher/survival shocker, directed by Julius Kemp, will be presented in anamorphic 2.35:1 widescreen with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio on the DVDs (which will retail for $27.97 each) and DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio on the Blu-ray (retailing for $29.97). Image also has THE LOST TRIBE, Roel Raine’s film pitting Lance Henriksen, Emily Foxler and others against prehistoric semihumans on a remote island, coming on DVD Oct. 19, with an anamorphic 2.35:1 transfer, Dolby Digital 5.1 sound and these extras:
• Audio commentary by producer Mohit Ramchandani and actor Hadley Fraser
• Behind-the-scenes featurette
Retail price is $27.97. The company has also set a Nov. 9 DVD/Blu-ray street date for DAMNED BY DAWN, Brett Anstey’s Aussie frightfest in the EVIL DEAD tradition about a farm family terrorized by evil spirits. This one will be presented in anamorphic 1.78:1 widescreen with Dolby Digital 5.1 sound on the DVD and DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio on the Blu-ray; special features are:
• Audio commentaries
• “Making the DAMNED Film” featurette
Retail price is $27.97 for the DVD, $29.97 for the Blu-ray.
• The well-reviewed indie RULE OF THREE will hit DVD Oct. 26 from Big Screen Entertainment. Set in a single hotel room, the movie concerns a father’s desperate search for his missing daughter, with flashbacks to various time periods revealing the awful truth surrounding what happened to her. The bonus features include:
• Audio commentary by director/producer Eric Shapiro
• Audio commentary by scriptwriter/actress Rhoda Jordan
Retail price is $19.95.
• The art and info for Magnolia Home Entertainment/Magnet’s DVD and Blu-ray releases of S&MAN were revealed a little while back, but the movie’s so cool we figured we should include them here just in case you missed ’em. Filmmaker J.T. Petty’s study of the underground horror scene—including one auteur who may be taking his quest for murderous images too far—will hit both formats Oct. 12, accompanied by:
• Audio commentary by Petty and “S&Man” Eric Rost
• Audio commentary by Petty, Erik Marcisak and producers
• Deleted scenes
• Complete “S&Man” film
• Excerpts from underground films
Retail price is $19.96 for the DVD, $24.96 for the Blu-ray.