NY! Dick Miller in person for retrospective including “THAT GUY” docu, “GREMLINS” reunion, Fango appearance & more!Movies/TV,News Michael Gingold
New York-area fans of the incomparable Dick Miller will want to clear their schedules for April 3-12, when the cult-fave star will appear as part of a major retrospective of his work at Anthology Film Archives, which FANGORIA is also taking part in.
Anthology (located at 32 Second Avenue at 2nd Street) has built the series around the New York premiere of Elijah Drenner’s THAT GUY DICK MILLER, a documentary exploring the actor’s long career over the past six decades, encompassing over 175 feature films and 2,000 TV appearances. It will be shown nightly at 7 p.m. from Friday, April 3 through Thursday, April 9, and then Saturday, April 11 at 5:30 p.m. and Sunday, April 12 at 5 p.m. Miller and his wife Lainie will appear in person for the opening weekend of the 3rd and 4th, yours truly will host the show and moderate a Q&A with the Millers on the 3rd and Drenner himself will present the screenings on the 5th and 6th.
The other highlight will be a showing of Joe Dante’s GREMLINS, featuring Miller as the lovable Mr. Futterman, on Saturday, April 4 at 9:15 p.m., with a cast reunion of Miller, Zach Galligan and Phoebe Cates! GREMLINS will also be screened on Friday, April 10 at 7 p.m. The rest of the lineup:
• Roger Corman’s A BUCKET OF BLOOD and Agnieszka Kurant’s short THE CUTAWAYS (about cutting-room-floor characters like Miller’s PULP FICTION role): Friday, April 3 at 9:15 p.m. (with the Millers in person) and Wednesday, April 8 at 9 p.m.
• Corman’s SORORITY GIRL: Saturday, April 4 at 5 p.m. (with the Millers in person) and Saturday, April 11 at 7:30 p.m.
• Corman’s WAR OF THE SATELLITES: Sunday, April 5 at 5:15 p.m. and Saturday, April 11 at 9 p.m.
• Dante’s GREMLINS 2: THE NEW BATCH: Sunday, April 5 at 9:15 p.m. and Friday, April 10 at 9:15 p.m.
• Dante and Allan Arkush’s HOLLYWOOD BOULEVARD: Monday, April 6 at 9 p.m., Thursday, April 9 at 9 p.m., and Sunday, April 12 at 7 p.m.
• Dante’s THE HOWLING: Tuesday, April 7 at 9 p.m. and Sunday, April 12 at 9 p.m.